[Lucky Psychic Hut, 2015; #044]
tracklist:
#1
01. Brazil
02. What is This Thing Called Love
03. Hip Billy Boogie
04. By the Light of the Silvery Moon
05. Lover
06. Caravan
07. Swiss Woodpecker
08. The Man on the Flying Trapeze
09. Lonesome Road
10. I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
11. Nola
12. Jealous
13. Dry My Tears
14. Cryin'
15. Goofus
16. Tennessee Waltz
17. Little Rock Getaway
18. Mockin' Bird Hill
19. Chicken Reel
20. How High the Moon
21. Walkin' and Whistlin' Blues
22. I Wish I'd Never Seen Sunshine
23. Josephine
24. The World is Waiting for the Sunrise
25. Whispering
#2
01. Just One More Chance
02. Jazz Me Blues
03. Jingle Bells
04. Silent Night
05. In the Good Old Summertime
06. La Rosita
07. The Moon of Manakoora
08. Three Little Words
09. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
10. Tiger Rag
11. It's A Lonesome Old Town (When You're Not Around)
12. I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
13. Carioca
14. Smoke Rings
15. Take Me in Your Arms and Hold Me
16. Meet Mister Callaghan
17. My Baby's Comin' Home
18. Lady of Spain
19. Wabash Blues
20. Bye Bye Blues
21. Blues Stay Away from Me
22. Deep in the Blues
23. St Louis Blues
24. Mammy's Boogie
25. Frankie and Johnnie
26. Don't Cry, Baby
27. I'm Sitting on Top of the World
28. Sleep
#3
01. Vaya Con Dios (May God Be with You)
02. Johnny is the Boy for Me
03. Don't Cha Hear Them Bells
04. The Kangaroo
05. Jungle Bells (Dingo-Dongo-Day)
06. White Christmas
07. I Really Don't Want to Know
08. South
09. I'm a Fool to Care
10. Auctioneer (I'll Buy That Dream)
11. Whither Thou Goest
12. Mandolino
13. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
14. Mister Sandman
15. That's What I Like
16. I Need You Now
17. The Things I Didn't Do
18. Someday, Sweetheart
19. Song in Blue
20. Hummingbird
21. Goodbye My Love, Goodbye
22. Amukiriki (The Lord Willing)
#4
01. Magic Melodie
02. Texas Lady
03. Alabamy Bound
04. Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer
05. Falling in Love with Love
06. On the Sunny Side of the Street
07. Just One of Those Things
08. Twelfth Street Rag
09. Lies
10. Turista
11. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
12. Nuevo Laredo
13. The Best Things in Life Are Free
14. Moritat - Theme from Three Penny Opera
15. Some of These Days
16. Tico, Tico
17. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home
18. Dangerous Curves
19. I'm Movin' On
20. Farewell (For Just Awhile)
21. Say the Words I Love to Hear
22. Send Me Some Money
23. Cimarron (Roll On)
24. San Antonio Rose
25. Running Wild
26. Blow the Smoke Away
27. Cinco Robles (Five Oaks)
28. Ro-Ro-Robinson
total time: 240'36
Tracked by Lucky.
Thanks to Karl Lippegaus + Holger Czukay in the first place.
"One of the most important figures in the development of the electric guitar and studio recording techniques. Les Paul worked as a professional musician from his late teens, and was leading his own trio in New York City by the age of 21. After serving with Armed Forces Radio in World War Two, he became a staff musician with NBC radio in Los Angeles. His experimentation with guitars became a frenzy in the late 1940s, building the first solid-body electric guitar in 1946 and releasing a six-way overdub, "Lover," which became a hit for Capitol, as did its flip side, "Brazil." Les Paul's sound was like nothing before it: fast, multi-layered, and deep.
He married the singer Mary Ford (born Colleen Somerset) in 1949, and together they recorded some of the biggest hits of the 1950s: "How High the Moon," "Vaya con Dios," "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise," and "Mockin' Bird Hill." He overdubbed both his guitar work and her vocals, working almost exclusively in his home studio, using an 8-track tape deck he designed and built himself. Paul was a perfectionist, and his recordings sound better today than almost anything coming from major label studios of the same period. In fact, the legendary sound engineer Tom Dowd credited Les Paul for inspiring Atlantic Records to purchase one of the first commercially-produced 8-track recorders, on which many of the label's best-known records were recorded.
Paul and Ford divorced in 1963, and he retired from recording except for an occasional appearance. He cut a solo (overdub) album for London, "Les Paul Now," in 1968, and a collaboration with Chet Atkins in 1976. He returned to live work in 1984, appearing with a trio in New York City jazz clubs. In 1988, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his influence as a player and engineer. He continued to perform live once at weekly, usually at the Iridium Club in Manhattan. [...]"
(from The Space Age Pop Music site)
No comments
Post a Comment